Membership in a church is not like membership in any other community. Members in an ordinary community are consumers; the organization exists to serve them. The church is a completely different community – membership means ministry and service, going from being a consumer to becoming a provider of God’s love and care to others.
Biblical Support for Church Membership
Although there is no hard and fast proof text for church membership in the New Testament, there are five key passages that give significant strength to the Biblical argument for church membership.
- The example of the early church. (Acts 2:42-47)
- The qualifications for church leadership. (1 Timothy 3:1-13)
- The command to practice church discipline. (1 Corinthians 5:1-13)
- The call to edify one another. (1 Peter 4:7-11)
- The earthly display of a spiritual reality. (Ephesians 3:8-10)
Practical Support for Church Membership
Church membership encourages collaboration and defies individuality. In a culture where commitment is becoming a phobia, church membership is an arena in which individuals are provided an opportunity to serve sacrificially, give generously and minister effectively. Church membership provides an opportunity to:
- Accept personal accountability.
- Voluntarily submit to church leadership as they submit to God.
- Contribute personally in attendance, prayer, giving and serving.
- Enter into a covenant relationship with fellow members.
- Accomplish more as a group than could be accomplished individually.
- Build relationships with people you would not otherwise know.
Qualifications for Church Membership
Church membership is for those whose lives evidence an increasing application of the principles of the gospel to the situations of their everyday lives, and whose character increasingly reflects the holiness of God. In order to become a member of the New Life body each individual must testify to:
- A regenerate life changed by the Gospel.
- Having been baptized as a believer.
- Agreement with the doctrinal statement.
- Commitment to the church covenant.
To learn more about membership, register for our next New to New Life Class. In this one hour class, the Elder Team will share the “why” behind what we do at New Life CityChurch. Classes are held every other month. Click the registration link to see the schedule.